Sunday, June 17, 2012

Masjid Al-Hikmah, take two

Priya & I returned to the Indonesian food fair behind Masjid Al-Hikmah in Astoria/LIC. Besides copious sweet iced coffees and iced teas, we tried a bunch of things I hadn't had the last time.

Sate padang, made from beef offal with a yellow rice-flour/coriander sauce.



Chicken sate--can't recall the precise variety. Much better than the usual Thai chicken satay, which is bland except for peanut sauce; this has a peanut sauce, but is also covered with chopped chiles and other vegetables, a palm-sugar squirt, and more.


Gado gado...I think at most places right now the gado-gado sauce comes in a jar, but here there were actually a row of little Indonesian women making the sauce TO ORDER with mortars and pestles. You could tell your sauce-maker exactly how many chiles you wanted (I got four), so on and so forth. Outstandingly delicious; I'm not sure I've ever had fresh-ground peanut sauce, and it tastes incredibly different than the junky premade stuff.

No comments: