Saturday, April 14, 2012

Hudson, NY

Taking advantage of my spring break, Priya and I spent a couple of days in Hudson, NY.

Lunch at Miss Lucy's Kitchen in Saugerties on the way up.

Blood orange and chevre arugula salad:


Duck-breast BLT with avocado:


Pulled-pork sandwich. Weird that it had onions on it, but pretty good nonetheless.


Homemade Devil Dogs:



Pickles at Brine Barrel in Saugerties (though called half-sour, they were nice and crunchy like new pickles):


We had dinner at Swoon in Hudson. The meal was amazing, but none of the pictures came out because it was so dim inside. We started off with bacon-wrapped dates sitting in a pool of maple syrup and a Bibb-lettuce salad with apples and hazelnuts. For my meal, I got the soft-shell crabs over ramps, bacon, and peas while Priya got a small order of lamb-ragu tagliatelle and Meyer lemon asparagus. I was blown away by the crabs. At the very end of the meal, as I was swooping up some of Priya's remaining lamb ragu with bread, I bit down on a sizeable shard of plastic. The waitress was appalled and we got the pasta dish and two desserts--salty-chocolate mousse and a maple creme brulee--comped. I don't really consider it a black spot on the meal, though, and I'd return the next time we're in town.

The next day we breakfasted at Earth Foods: blueberry pancakes and a curry tofu scramble with homemade-bread toast. Both good, though I didn't like the salty chicken-turkey sausage I ordered on the side.



After visiting Olana and working up an appetite, we lunched at Baba Louie's pizza shop, which makes sourdough no-yeast crust pizzas. I kind of expected it to be crackery and not so good, but it was excellent--both chewy and crunchy, with delicious tomato sauce. We got a basic margherita with pepperoni added on, and the special pie (garlic sausage, ricotta, pesto, basil, red potatoes...).


On the drive home, we stopped at Sripraphai in Queens and I had maybe my first disappointing meal there out of dozens...nothing was spicy (and we even asked for it specifically to be spicy). I guess they really have dumbed down their food recently, as people have been saying.

No comments: