Monday, April 26, 2010

Ramp compound butter & sayadiyah

hit the co-op and returned with a bunch of good stuff. first I boiled last week's stinging nettles to try before they went bad...unfortunately, they're not especially good alone. while that was going on I made ramp compound butter (inspired by Jonny Meyer's ramp butter last season). pretty simple: blanched ramps, preserved lemon, salt and pepper mixed with room-temperature 83% fat butter from the co-op. The recipe I found called for fairly roughly hand-chopped ramps, so even through I made them finer than it recommended, I still think I'd rather use a multimix and get it really pureed, almost, next time.


still, tasted great. I rolled a log and froze it.

while the ramping and nettling was going on, I made a not-too-hard dinner from Claudia Roden: sayadiyah. really simple fish (catfish, in this case) with rice; tons of onions, but the only spice is a little cumin. doesn't look like much, but it's pretty good.

3 comments:

gillian said...

senegalese eat rice with onion sauce that looks like that.

Chris said...

yay authenticity! make sure to eat that when wearing your 50/50 poly-blend vintage strokes t-shirt.

alex said...

strokes?? chris, you're too out of touch to even properly insult me.