Monday, August 24, 2009

Brazil, Day 1

Our trip to Rio de Janeiro began inauspiciously when the airline "forgot" my vegetarian meal (which I usually request because it tends to be so much better than airline microwaved meat meals) and instead provided me with 2 salads and 2 pieces of bread for our 13-hour trip. So the first food we ate in Brazil was a plate of cheese fries that Samir ordered in the Marriott restaurant right as we arrived and were sitting around drinking caipirinhas waiting to check in. As cheese fries go, they were pretty strange.


We did some snacking, eating a guava and drinking some Guarana Zero in the lounge, before heading to Leblon for a simple dinner at a friend-of-a-friend's house. Later that night, wandering Copacabana, we stopped in McDonald's to see what weird regional specialities they might have; Priya got a fried apple pie (which apparently don't exist in the States anymore?) and I got an "Ovomaltine" McFlurry (they also had catupiry--cheese--and fruit pies, as well as banana). N.B.: I think it has been about 15 years since I had McDonald's, and in the past couple of weeks I've had two McFlurries; just circumstance, I swear!

Gastronomically, a quiet day in Rio (which we would more than compensate for later).

No comments: