Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Garlic scapes pesto

Following a recipe from Simon (his defunct grubnoise foodblog), I used up the rest of my garlic scapes making garlic scapes pesto tonight (yesterday I made garlic scapes/corn chicken soup for poor, sick Priya).




I added a little more basil and oil than Simon recommended, simply because it was a BIT too pungent for me without (the scapes pack a punch!), but in the end the pesto made cheap frozen ravioli into a fit-for-a-king meal.

recipe:

  • 3/4 cup of pine nuts
  • 1 ½ cup of grossly chopped Garlic Scapes, with the flower removed
  • ½ cup of olive oil
  • ½ cup of grossly chopped basil
  • Salt and pepper

Toast the pine nuts in a frying pan for a few minutes over medium heat. Put all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse into oblivion, or rather a paste. Put the in the fridge and use everywhere as in pasta and as condiment for fish or in vegetables like in the little recipe below.

No comments: