Wednesday, July 8, 2009

all'amatriciana pizza

I tried an experiment the other night: all'amatriciana pizza.

I fried the fat out of some thin pieces of guanciale, removed the meat, and then sauteed onions, fresh-chopped tomatoes, and a little garlic in the fat until it settled into a sauce. Then I stirred the meat back in and salted it.

I used that as the sauce on a simple pizza with fresh mozzarella cheese on top.

I think it was a fantastic idea that I did not execute well; the fresh mozz and sauce leaked wetness all over and the crust didn't turn out so hot.

But I'm going to try it again, because it was actually really good. I have no idea why I haven't seen this on the menu at other pizzerias.


On the side, we steamed/buttered some brussels sprouts--easy and simple and almost as good as the unhealthy ones we usually do (fried in bacon fat and garlic).

No comments: