Monday, June 22, 2009

Garlic scapes omelette & guanciale for dinner


quick dinner...omelette with garlic scapes and cheddar cheese, cooked in ghee...slabs of fried guanciale...rye toast.

I was trying to use up a bunch of stuff I had in my fridge, and the results were decidedly mixed. I had only a little piece of the guanciale slab left and wanted to get rid of it, so I thought it might be interesting to treat it like bacon. It was only OK--too salty, too fatty, too heavily flavored, not a good texture...

the scapes omelette was delicious, though; it was also an experiment, preliminary to an event Priya and I are planning in which we scramble eggs in ghee (as per Kenny Shopsin's advice). the butter didn't brown at all and the omelette had an outstanding texture.

the guanciale WAS good, however, when I tore a small piece off and ate it with egg & toast. nonetheless, no more breakfast guanciale for me.

No comments: