Sunday, June 7, 2009

Experiments with pork

Priya is away for a week :( and so I've been taking chances with stuff that just might suck. Last night I went to the midnight showing of Drag Me To Hell (didn't suck, but not quite her cup of tea, I think) and today I futzed around with super-thinly-sliced pork (which had a very large chance of cooking too dry).

I partially thawed some boneless pork chops and sliced them rreeallly thin on my mandoline (the partial frozenness made it much easier to slice them cleanly). I got 10 or 12 paper-thin slices out of 2 chops. Then, I brined them all for several hours (cider vinegar, salt, sugar, mustard powder, etc.). When I was ready to make dinner, I rinsed off the brine and divided the pork into two piles.

The first pile I marinated in a mixture of olive oil, honey, and coriander powder (using up some honey/oil mixture that we had accidentally made a couple of weeks ago). After an hour or two, I put them on a metal grill and stuck them under the broiler for a few minutes. I didn't quite nail it, and I think they came out a little too dry (but with a great sweet flavor).

I laid out the second pile on a tray and sprinkled both sides liberally with shichimi togarashi (Japanese seven spice powder). Then I floured each piece, put it in an egg wash, coated it with panko, and dropped it in a pan of hot olive oil to fry. (Basically, I was using a method I usually use to fry chicken cutlets, but with different spices and using pork instead). They came out fantastic! Sweet and tangy (from the cider vinegar) and also spicy (from the powder), they were great on a soft roll as a sandwich (with corn on the cob, mashed potatoes, and cucumber-dill salad on the side).

No comments: