Saturday, April 11, 2009

Peter Pan and Polish bakeries

Heading to CT for Easter, my mom asked me to cruise Greenpoint for some Polish baked goods--babka, rye bread, etc. Priya and I took the opportunity to stroll around the neighborhood and ogle the long lines of kielbasa-buyers and the like, and to use the walk as an excuse to go to Peter Pan for breakfast. We'd heard that the egg sandwiches there were amazing, and I'd wanted to try them out for a while.

Egg sandwiches are one of my favorite breakfast items ever, but I never really have a good one here in NYC unless I make it myself. Firstly, bodega egg sandwiches always use orange American cheese. I understand, but when I make 'em myself I use the sharpest, whitest cheddar I have on hand. Secondly--and far more critically--bodegas beat their eggs and then fry them into, basically, a little omelette. I like the eggs to be fried over easy, so when you bite the sandwich, the yolk bursts and soaks the bread and forms a kind of condiment, like yellow ketchup or something. Again, I understand--most people buying egg sandwiches from bodegas are eating them on the go, and don't want drippy egg all over themselves on the train. But it's always a minor disappointment for me...

After a few minutes of trying to get the attention of the counterpeople, we ordered two egg-and-cheese sandwiches, a coffee and an OJ, and a couple of doughnuts (a "marble cruller"--not really a cruller, as far as we could tell, but a cakey donut stick--and a French cruller) . We noticed a family full of kids a few stools over who were splitting an egg sandwich and doughnut four ways. We soon understood why when our sandwiches came--they were gigantic. We couldn't figure out if they were three-egg sandwiches or not, but there's a pretty good chance they were.


Each sandwich had two slices of orange American cheese (oh well), but otherwise were very, very good. The eggs were pale and fluffy--probably cooked with milk?--not the "almost burnt" rubbery things I've gotten at every bodega ever. The rolls were also very good, freshly baked and noticeably different from the stock bulkies most places have. And the total, for two sandwiches two donuts two drinks? $11, less than we'd spend for a single entree at Brooklyn Label brunch or something else. Very nice.


I returned home with a babka from Rzeszowska (missed the amazing-looking cheese as the Polish ladies in line ahead of me beat me to 'em, but got a regular) and a full belly.

No comments: