Monday, March 2, 2009

Snow day pot roast

What to do with a snow day? Cook a meal that takes six hours to make! I've never made a real pot roast before, so I thought today was as good a day as any to make it happen. I picked through recipes I found online until I had an idea of what I wanted to do. I ended up combining an Alton Brown recipe with a generic Yankee pot roast recipe; I really did not want to use beef broth at all, but just some red wine, tomato paste, water, and the natural juices of the meat.

The gravy is my favorite part--I stirred a paste of butter and flour into the remaining broth until it ended up just the right consistency.

It doesn't fall apart into shreds when you touch it, but I'm not sure it's supposed to? It's certainly delicious and soft. Now I have 3.5 pounds of meat left to finish before Friday.

No comments: