Thursday, March 26, 2009

PACE Food Swap Day Two: Gurian

For the second day of our food swap, Gurian (who always casts himself as a brand-new, learning cook) made sausage and peppers. When I make sausage and peppers, I cut up some peppers and bake them in a glass dish with some sausage, and then put it on a roll. It's very no-frills and not really a great meal, which is why I basically never make it. I tried to feel out if that's what Gurian was going to do, but he dismissed me instantly. "You'll see," he said.

Did I ever. His version of sausage and peppers was multi-step, carefully put together, a mix of skinned, browned-in-butter sausage pieces, yellow peppers, asparagus, and gemelli pasta in a tomato sauce. It was excellent, and I had three helpings.


Here's the recipe he sent me later:

2 yellow Holland or bell peppers
9 hot Italian sausages
1 bunch asparagus, spears cut into 3 pieces
1 box of gemelli pasta
2 cans of tomato sauce (the little cans)
butter

First, I boil the sausages in a large pot. Save the water when they're done. Set them aside and let them cool. Once cooled I remove the casing and cut into small disks. Then in a sauce pan I lightly seared the pieces with some butter (I think I used 2 tbsp.--can't really remember, but enough to give a little crisp). Put in the tomato sauce and give it a stir so that none of the sausage is sticking to the pan. Put in the asparagus and the peppers. Reduce flame to simmer and cover for a few mins. Meanwhile, use the sausage water to make the pasta (I don't know why, but for some reason I feel using the sausage water adds to the dish. Because the pasta takes on the flavor maybe?) Once pasta is done, drain and add to sausage and veggies. You'll probably need a large mixing bowl or foil pan or something.

I don't really season too much because the sausage flavors everything nicely. I might have done a few dashes of kosher salt to help out the veggies, but that's it. If you like it saucier then add another can of tomato sauce. You pretty much know your way around though, so I imagine you'll tinker with the recipe as you see fit. Enjoy!

No comments: