Tuesday, March 24, 2009

PACE Food Swap Day One: Chopp

I frequently bring delicious homemade food for lunch, and there's always a bunch of other teachers who show up with delicious homemade stuff, too. We talk about how we made this and how that could be better and so on and so forth...a couple of days ago, five of us got together and decided to each pick a day to bring in enough food for five people and have five days of home-cooked special lunch.

First up, today, was Chopp. He made a spicy tomato soup with lemon-rosemary cream and served it with some good crusty bread. Heating up a big tank of it in the microwave, he produced a batch of homemade rosemary creme fraiche and dropped a dollop in each bowl before serving it. I was so hungry I didn't even think to take a picture, so check the link.

It was outstanding. I appreciated the spiciness; Chopp had used red cayenne pepper instead of crushed red peppers, and made a couple of other mods of his own. The lemony taste really came through as well. One thing I would change when I make it myself were the rosemary pieces; I kept getting big needles caught in my teeth. I think I would add the sprigs for flavor and then remove them.

I'm really looking forward to the next four days.

3 comments:

priya said...

that's a genius idea, kind of a like a lunch co-op! what are you going to make?

alex said...

Indian food of some sort...I'm thinking something simple that everyone would like. keema, naan/paratha, and either cauliflower or chana masala, and a cucumber/onion salad?

p-nut said...

yum! that sounds very ambitious, but i would expect nothing less from you...