Friday, November 14, 2008

Ling Kee beef jerky

Whilst walking down Canal street the other day, I passed a tiny, mostly empty-looking store that had a single glass-fronted counter that appeared to contain only beef jerky under heatlamps. I guess there are a few of these Chinese jerky stores around. Today, after a nice 2-hour lunch, Wooh and I stopped by Ling Kee Beef Jerky for an after-lunch snack.

Unlike American jerky, Chinese jerky appears to be both moist and warm. Big squares of pork, chicken, and beef jerky were stacked under heatlamps, and more was grilling in the back. Spicy versions of each were available as well.

We were just sampling, so I got a quarter pound of pork, and Wooh got a quarter pound of beef. Kind of pricey--around $4 for a quarter-pound. In retrospect, I guess it's not that bad for what you get. I couldn't finish my QP; maybe if I hadn't eaten lunch...

The pork was very sweet, like BBQ pork ribs from a Chinese restaurant--excellent! Wooh's beef was a little sweet, too--Wooh thought too much so. I liked it, though.

I'll be back here from time to time, I think.


No comments: