Sunday, October 5, 2008

Mujadarra

after eating out a bunch, I wanted to make a nice simple meal that didn't really cost any money. compounding my need for something simple and savory was the fact that Priya and I went to Brina's brunch this morning and had her exquisite challah french toast--very tasty, but nothing at the brunch wasn't sugary, so I was feeling like I needed something salty to round out the day.

so I made mujadarra. I couldn't find a recipe I liked online so I kind of winged it. used my brand-new birthday mandolin to slice a gigantic amount of onions--seriously, probably 5 regular-sized onions--into very thin rings. fried them in a lot of olive oil in my Dutch oven for a long time--10-20 minutes, until they were turning brown and looking as if they were beginning to burn. then I added 2 cups of regular green/brown lentils and stirred a bit. a little salt, a little pepper, and a tiny bit of allspice; then I poured in some water (2 cups maybe? who knows) and let it simmer for around 20 minutes, until the lentils were softening. added 2 cups of rice, more water, and continued to simmer (stirring and adding more water very frequently) until it was done. stirred in some chopped parsley and lemon juice and ate it in a pita with a pickle on the side.

No comments: