Thursday, July 17, 2008

Garlic scapes

I got a handful of garlic scapes at the Union Square Green Market for 20 cents (seriously--I think they were 2 bucks a pound) and tried to figure out what to do with them. I should've put them in with the cauliflower yesterday, but too late for that...

I had gotten two ears of sweet New Jersey corn at the green market, too, and boiled both of 'em up that night. For dinner I had a pretty simple ear of corn and Trader Joe's veggie burger masala (pretty good, tasted like samosa filling, potatoey and cuminy). then I cut the kernels off the other ear, mixed it with chopped garlic scapes and butter and salt and pepper, and had my side dish for tonight.

tonight I had ravioli with puttanesca sauce (I defrosted the other half of the sauce I made a few weeks ago), white corn with garlic scapes, roasted garlic on Italian bread, and a Caesar salad.



I think I underestimated the flavor and pungency of the scapes; I should've chopped them much smaller and used fewer for just one ear of corn. still really good, but I must completely reek of garlic now (I roasted and ate a whole clove; I ate a crapload of raw garlic scapes; my puttanesca sauce was very garlicy; my Caesar dressing was also garlicky).

No comments: