Wednesday, June 18, 2008

shake shack

after my Arabic class on 33rd street, Priya and I met up at the Shake Shack. I had never been before and had been thinking about how I wanted to try it out and suddenly Priya suggested it as a dinner place. great!

she was waiting in line for at least 30-45 minutes before I got there, and we waited another 30-45. some douchey stockbroker guy was going up to girls and offering to buy them their dinner if they would let him cut in line ahead of them (nobody seemed to bite, thank God). obviously some people have been trained to think that you can just pay your way out of anything unpleasant.

I ordered a regular cheeseburger (no shake sauce! mayonnaise! yuck!) and a Second City Bird Dog (chicken dog with all the fixins...celery salt, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, mustard, etc.) and fries. Priya got a shackburger. we split a vanilla milkshake.



the food was...really, really good! the burger reminded me of In 'n' Out--it wasn't good because it was super-thick or super-juicy (like a Dumont burger), but simply because it was well-made and clearly fresh and constructed of solid-quality ingredients. the fries were not hot but were just right in terms of crispy outside/lovely soft oily inside. the chicken dog was the worst of the bunch--it was only OK. I bet if I liked/ate hotdogs I would've liked it more. the vanilla shake was absolutely delicious, very very vanilla-y, but we let it melt during dinner and it was more like very cold thick vanilla cream. still good.

No comments: