Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Apricot paste and consequences

so for Mother's Day I tried to make my mom this sweet dessert which I half-bakedly invented out of my head. I knew it was going to go wrong before I began, but I had this desire to see exactly how badly--and I had a faint hope it would at least be OK.

I boiled some loomi I'd made a while ago and let some green cardamom pods and cinnamon sticks steep for a while. then I removed 'em and added some apricot paste, rosewater, and honey, stirring it up til it was all melted. I boiled it down tremendously, hoping it would get to the point where I could pour it into a dish and it would set and I'd cut it into squares.

well, it never got to that point, even after endless boiling down--I think I should've added pectin.

anyway, I took the gooey pulp and made a couple of things out of it.

first, I food-processed it with yogurt, ginger, garlic, chiles, cumin, and paprika and made a marinade for some kebab beef I got (I rubbed it with papain and lemon juice first). once broiled, it came out pretty good, with a kind of thick flavorful layer clinging to the beef. I don't know if anyone would like it except me, but...

accompanying it are paratha, palak from some time ago, and ginger-tamarind chana also from some time ago.


the next day I whisked the apricot goo with some oil and lemon juice and made a marinade/glaze for (salted and purged) slices of eggplant. I ate those for a couple of days. it went very well on a sandwich of cheese and marinated teriyaki baked tofu I made, and alongside spaghetti squash with garlic and red pepper flakes and DELICIOUS medjool dates stuffed with co-op goat cheese from Spain.


that spaghetti squash will return later in the week...

No comments: